Saturday, September 8, 2007

Day 14: The Gage

I met up with my roommate from college, Carol, and Tom, who was really more her friend than mine, for dinner at a newish restaurant near Chicago's recently gut rehabbed Millennium Park. Called The Gage, the restaurant serves gussied up Irish food, sort of, and sells you wine for $13 a glass (again, highway robbery!). We ate a whole bunch of stuff, including the vaunted Mussels Vindaloo appetizer (mussels in an Indian curry gravy) and the crispy potatoes with brie (which comes in an adorable black crock). Overall, the food wasn't as good as the decor would have you wishing and it's pretty darn expensive. I had high hopes for the sticky toffee dessert but, alas, it did not taste as good as it looked. Carol thought the cake should have been richer ("More butter," she said, then put down her spoon) and I wanted it to be squishier and wetter (soak it in something?). Tom seemed pretty content.


(I have photos of Tom feeding Carol, but I've been threatened with some painful form corporal punishment if I post them to this blog.)

I hate to say it, but I must: YUCKY.

No comments: